Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Learning...

...
I like to take stock every now and again, about what I've learned about writing along the way. To that end, I thought perhaps a list would be useful.

1. There is no "right" way to write. People are unique individuals, and it only follows that writing styles would be unique to the individual.

2. It is possible to follow and/or adapt writing advice so that it's useable for the way you write. I've been doing this myself. Friend and Harlequin author, Jennie Adams, very sweetly agreed to be a guest blogger on my adventure blog (with my crit partner and very dear friend, Sherry *Shara* Jones): Two for the Show... (Friday, August 31 post), and I've found myself using some of the elements she described.

3. It is important to stretch those writing muscles in order to grow as a writer.

4. The verb "to be" (is, are, was, were) is unavoidable. But it's still my opinion that when there's a stronger verb available, then go with the stronger verb.

5. Vivid Verbs convey more meaning, make your writing stronger than Wimpy Verbs do.

6. It is okay for the first/rough draft to suck scummy pond water. That's why it's called a "rough draft." It's true what they say: you can always fix putrid writing, but you can't fix a blank page.

7. It's difficult to write steamy scenes when the children are fighting in the other room.

No comments: