Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Gravy, Baby.

...
What turkey is complete without gravy? Eat nekkid mashed potatoes? Perish the thought! That's why gravy was invented, baby... and man-oh-man, are the possibilities endless.

My grandma was fond of giblet gravy. She'd put the yucky bits that get shoved into the turkey's neck cavity in a little pot with water and boil 'em. I think she added that water to the gravy. Don't know why, but there you have it. The giblets in my house now wouldn't survive long enough to be boiled... no, my fishermen would bag 'em and freeze 'em to use for fishing next summer. (Yeah, that's fun stuff to have in your freezer.)

I like to use the drippings in the roasting pan for gravy. Mmmmm.... And if there's not enough there to make a decent amount of gravy, then yes, I will admit, I use the Turkey Gravy packets from the seasoning section at the grocery store. They should be going on sale, come to think on it. Need to pick up a good supply to have on hand. Mmmm...

Cornstarch mixed with cold water is a better thickener than flour and water-- no lumps.

Tune in tomorrow for Gobblin' Turkey.

2 comments:

Grace Tyler said...

Cornstarch also makes a gluten free gravy.

Laura Hamby said...

That's good to know, Grace. Thanks for sharing that tidbit!