Thursday, June 26, 2008

More Quotes About Writing...

...
I love perusing THIS SITE looking at the quotes. It's grown over the years since I first started popping in there, and every now and again, I like to put all the quotes I like in one place for my future reference. Here we go!

To grow in craft is to increase the bredth of what I can do, but art is the depth, the passion, the desire, the courage to be myself and myself alone. Pat Schneider

Detail makes the difference between boring and terrific writing. It’s the difference between a pencil sketch and a lush oil painting. As a writer, words are your paint. Use all the colors.Rhys Alexander

There are no rules in writing. There are useful principles. Throw them away when they're not useful. But always know what you're throwing away.Will Shetterly

Everything that doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. And later on you can use it in some story.
Tapani Bagge

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. Jack London

Get your facts first, and then you can distort 'em as much as you please.
Mark Twain

The story is not in the plot but in the telling.
Ursula K. LeGuin

Find the key emotion; this may be all you need know to find your short story.
F. Scott Fitzgerald

The virtue of books is to be readable.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Many modern novels have a beginning, a muddle and an end.
Philip Larkin

I write for the same reason I breathe - because if I didn't, I would die.
Isaac Asimov

No comments: