Thursday, July 14, 2011

The End!

Done!

Finished!

The first draft.

But it's done! After restarting the final chapter 4 different times, I finally got it right. The determination to sit here until it was finished set in. My kids return home from summer camp on Saturday. Time was running short. We're also still cleaning their rooms and that needs to be finished, and we're gearing up for a garage sale, too. Plus, I bribed myself with brownies. Chocolate brownies, a great motivator.

"Self, if you finish this chapter, you may bake brownies."

Lo and behold, it worked. Shocking.

It's now in Sherry MeaniePants' inbox, and Angie MeaniePants' inbox, too. Oh, yeah, and Mom's too, but she, as anyone who's read my blog recently knows, "Just wants to read it."

I already have another project in mind, born from my rant about a certain movie the other day. I thought to myself, "Gee, how would YOU have written that?" So, I started putting together a character list last night, and will work on that later this afternoon, after I've done a few chores, now that the other one is done. Still contemplating on the historical, if I'm going to try to fix it, or just let it fade from my consciousness. I hate to give it up, but... but... but...So many pros and cons there.

Moving right along...We went up to the summer camp where our boys are late yesterday afternoon. It was parents' night. For our #3 (in birth order) Son, it's his first year at camp, all by himself, except that his brothers are there. He didn't appear to be suffering any major homesickness. No clingy kid, no tearful begging to go home with us, in fact, if when he was busy doing other stuff, Mom and Dad became invisible. He hasn't changed clothes since he left home. He sleeps in his scout uniform, which must be a good time saver in the morning, seeing as he's not a morning person. I did make him fetch his washcloth for a face scrubbing. His question? "Do I have to wash my WHOLE face?"

#2 Son has been changing his socks and shirts every day. His face was dusty, and when I suggested he wash it, he told me he'd washed his face once already this week. He's continually helping #3 find the orange wristbands all campers must wear, that always falls off #3's arm. #2 found a broken one, and is carrying it around in his pocket for the day #3 loses his armband for good. #2 let me hug him before we left---he's Mr. No Hugs Allowed, always been that way.

#1 Son showed me his elbows. "Look, Mom, dirty elbows!" A broad, happy grin accompanied the elbow show and tell. He's also been changing his socks and shirts every day. All is well. He has a tent to himself (they're 2 people tents on a wooden platform, with old timey springy bed frames and plastic covered camping mattresses. Could be worse.

All is well, and it was awesome seeing them obviously thriving there at camp, and so obviously not missing Mom and Dad. We said our goodbyes, hugged each kid, then stood there for a moment watching them go back to their activities. I'm positive not a single one watched us walk away. And that's great! They're having fun, they're doing well, they're building memories. That's what it's all about.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+


Detail makes the difference between boring and terrific writing. It’s the difference between a pencil sketch and a lush oil painting. As a writer, words are your paint. Use all the colors. ~Rhys Alexander

Write your story as it needs to be written. Write it honestly, and tell it as best you can. I'm not sure that there are any other rules. Not ones that matter. ~Neil Gaiman

Great is the art of beginning, but greater is the art of ending. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

No comments: