Monday, January 16, 2012

I Have A Dream

Martin Luther King, Jr. had a Dream...A dream that one day, his four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. 

Would that I'd see his dream come true in my lifetime, but sadly, I'm not sure I will.

I have dreams also, no, not like my husband's dream of last night where he and I got into an argument over a new appliance for the house - a BBQ/fridge affair. I really must watch what he's eating before he goes to bed, because, from his description of it, that was one weeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddd dream. Rather, my dreams are on a grander scale, like MLK's (not that I would ever think to compare myself to him, of course)...

I dream about my children being able to take a deep breath of fresh air when they're adults because we've been environmentally responsible.

I dream about my children being able to live in a country where the separation of church and state is respected and practiced; where some zealot's notion of morality isn't enforced upon us all; that there is true tolerance for ALL religions in this country; the color of our skin, our genders, our sexual preferences, our religious practices are all accepted equally and without judgement or persecution or legislated to oblivion; and in a country that is politically and economically stable.

I dream about my children living in a world that is, well, I'll be frank here. I greatly admire Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future - where humans not only have learned to get along well together, but have learned to get along well with off-worlders. So, I dream of my children living in a Star Trek universe. Yes, yes, I do. Therefore, I dream about my children living in a world there is respect for fellow man, regardless of geographical boundaries, nationalities, religions, skin color, or language.

I dream about my children living in a world where they have the opportunities to achieve their own dreams and goals and are able to live their lives as they themselves envision, not as envisioned by others.

I dream about my children living in a world where hope abounds.

I dream about my children living in a world where they can LIVE - freely and securely.


*&%*&%*&%*&%*

Martin Luther King, Jr. Quotes


A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.

A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.

A riot is the language of the unheard.


*&%*&%*&%*&%* 








No comments: