Friday, January 05, 2007

The Joys of Writing

Writing is like breathing for me: I can't live without breathing, and I can't live without writing.

I love perusing through websites dedicated to quotes about writing. Today I'm looking at THIS ONE, and I thought I'd share the ones that stand out to me.

It is better to write a bad first draft than to write no first draft at all.Will Shetterly

There is no great writing, only great rewriting.
Justice Brandeis

Writing is 1 percent inspiration, and 99 percent elimination.
Louise Brooks

It is perfectly okay to write garbage – as long as you edit brilliantly. C. J. Cherryh

It's none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way.
Ernest Hemingway

As with all other aspects of the narrative art, you will improve with practice, but practice will never make you perfect. Why should it? What fun would that be?Stephen King

By writing much, one learns to write well.
Robert Southey

The only way to learn to write is to write.
Peggy Teeters

It is my contention that a really great novel is made with a knife and not a pen. A novelist must have the intestinal fortitude to cut out even the most brilliant passage so long as it doesn't advance the story.
Frank Yerby

No comments: