Thursday, April 19, 2007

13 Things About Being An Editor and An Author

1. I love being both an editor and published author.
2. The "Inner Editor" in me never turns off.
3. Characters, ones with completed novels, and those waiting patiently in the wings,
hang out in a space in my braincell that I like to call "The Character's Lounge."
And they all talk to each other.
4. Best way to get my attention if you've subbed to By Grace Publications or
Moonlit Romance: submit an extraordinary story.
5. As an acquiring editor, I do look at grammar, spelling, how well the story is
told. To keep my attention: take time to use your spell check and grammar check
(yes, I do consider how difficult the editing will be when considering
submissions) AND keep me engaged in the story.
6. Details are important all the way around, from both the perspective as an editor
and author.
7. You can never have too much emotion, IMHO.
8. There are five senses. Use them all.
9. The editor won't care if you have written The Greatest Story Known to Mankind if
she can't decipher your prose.
10. The Greatest Story Known to Mankind is well-written, doesn't require a decoding
ring in order to make it through each sentence, is packed with emotion and
detail, has characters to love and care about, is unique in some fashion.
11. If I couldn't write, I'd probably be insane.
12. Overuse of exclamation marks makes me want to dive under my desk and cower in
fear.
13. I love being myself when I write-- in the way I choose words, my humor and all
that good stuff.

2 comments:

Judy Jarvie said...

What a brilliant blog post Laura. So well summed up (oops makes me cringe with guilt though that I've only recently managed to handcuff my exclamation marks to the wall.) jx

Laura Hamby said...

Thanks, Judy. :D

~LH