Monday, August 20, 2007

Writer's Block



My best friend and writing cohort is busy experiencing Writer's Block. And not just any ordinary block, but the "All The Creativity Has Been Sucked Out of Your Body" kind.

Now, I can relate to the "I Have the Blehs DonWanna Write" block--- courtesy of the hormonal shifts that happen once a month, but I'm truly at a loss for the type of block she's experiencing at the moment. I wish I had a magic wand to wave over her, yanno?

We've talked about the WIPS she has going, we've talked about her starting completely fresh. We've talked about her trying a different sub-genre of romance, and we've even, very briefly, talked about writing something together. For that last one, I rather envision the two of us connected by jumper cables. Hehe. That wouldn't be far from the truth, as we write with our IM windows open.

I'd like to present her with a fabulous jump start, if you will, to see if that would help, so I've been thinking--- in the far back recesses of my mind--- about what I could do/say to get her going. I'd offer her medicinal chocolate, but I ate it all ready. (Oops.)

So, in keeping with the writer's block theme, here are some of my favorite quotes on the subject.

Everything that doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. And later on you can use it in some story. Tapani Bagge

If you haven't got an idea, start a story anyway. You can always throw it away, and maybe by the time you get to the fourth page you will have an idea, and you'll only have to throw away the first three pages.
William Campbell Gault

If you’re going to be a writer, the first essential is just to write. Do not wait for an idea. Start writing something and the ideas will come. You have to turn the faucet on before the water starts to flow.
Louis L’Amour

The task of a writer consists in being able to make something out of an idea.
Thomas Mann

The first step to becoming a better writer is believing your own experience is worth writing about.
Peter Marmorek

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
Jack London

2 comments:

Grace Tyler said...

The Written Word -- Quote a Day

8/21/07: Stopping

"Stopping a piece of work just because it's hard, either emotionally or imaginatively, is a bad idea. Sometimes you have to go on when you don't feel like it, and sometimes you're doing good work when it feels like all you're managing is to shovel shit from a sitting position."
--Stephen King

Bring on the shyte! *hoping your moderation doesn't boot me, cuz it's a good quote otherwise*

Laura Hamby said...

It can stay. It is a good quote. ;)