Monday, September 10, 2007

The Cat's Meow

There I was, at O'dark thirty (5:30) this morning, sprawled across the top of my very comfortable bed, minding my own business. Yes, I was sleeping. Peacefully. Maybe even having a very pleasant dream.

I feel the bed jiggle a little, and next thing I know, there's my Meow Monster. Meowing at me. Not the "Hello, I'm happy to see you. Pet me now." Meow, but the "I've heard/seen/smelled something that makes me unhappy, so here I am to tell you about it." Meow. So I petted her for a moment, asked her what was wrong, and in reply she said, "Meeeeeeoooooooooow." Okay. Great. Go stalk whatever it is that's bothering and let me go back to sleep. I didn't have to be out of bed for another hour. I readjusted myself, got comfortable after the cat left, closed my eyes... and...

"Meeeeeeooooow. Meeeeeeoooow. Meeeeeeoooooow."

Me: "What now, Meow Monster?"

"Meeeeeewwwwwww. Meeeeeooooooooooooooow. Meeeeeeeooooooooooowwwww. Meeeeoooow."

So I sat up and put my glasses on. Without the glasses, I'm blind as a bat. The cat has gone into my closet and is investigating things in there. Whatever. I'm going back to sleep. Darn it. Don't have to be awake yet. Why am I awake? Oh, yeah. The cat. Miss Meow Monster.

Yep, you guessed it, she came back a few minutes later and meowed at me some more. She actually walked around me on the bed, then disappeared. I didn't see her again until I was out of the shower and getting ready to face the day. (She comes in after someone has showered, and gets into the tub to lick at the water. Weird cat.) She was waiting for me in my bedroom, after I was finished doing my hair and make-up, perched on the foot of my bed.

Yep. She meowed at me, and continued to meow at me until my oldest son called up the stairs, "Mom, can I feed the cat?"

"Yes. Please. Feed the cat. By all means."

So he calls, "Food, Kitty. Kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty..."

Cat's eyes widened and she leapt off the bed. She's not stupid. She knows that when someone yells "food" and "kitty" together at the same time, she's about to be fed.

So there you have it. The story of the cat's meow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Meowing at me. Not the "Hello, I'm happy to see you. Pet me now." Meow, but the "I've heard/seen/smelled something that makes me unhappy, so here I am to tell you about it."
..."The cat has gone into my closet and is investigating things in there."


Um... what do you keep in your closet???

Laura Hamby said...

The usual. Shoes. Clothes. Other stuff that we don't know where to put it. And obviously, Kitty Bait.

~L