Sunday, September 09, 2007

Muses

Writers often blame their writing blocks or writing sprees on "The Muse," and I'll admit, I'm guilty of same. I remember being fascinated with the Muses way back in junior high and high school, when we studied Greek mythology, so I must laugh at myself these days when I play the blame game, with my Muse being the Blamee in Chief.

Here's a little bit of information about the Muses, quoted directly from Wikipedia (I figured maybe we should know a little bit more about the entities we like to blame or praise for our writing blocks or writing sprees):

"The canonical nine Muses, with their fields of patronage, as established since the Renaissance, are:

Calliope (Chief of the muses and muse of epic or heroic poetry)
Clio (muse of history)
Erato (muse of love or erotic poetry, lyrics, and marriage songs)
Euterpe (muse of music and lyric poetry)
Melpomene (muse of tragedy)
Polyhymnia or Polymnia (muse of sacred song, oratory, lyric, singing and rhetoric)
Terpsichore (muse of choral song and dance)
Thalia (muse of comedy and bucolic poetry)
Urania (muse of astronomy)"

Encyclopedia Mythica article (brief, yet informative).

For a bit of fun, take the blogthings "What Muse Are You" quiz below, and share with us which Muse you are!

Your Inner Muse is Thalia

You are most like this playful muse of comedy.
Life is all about laughter to you, and you're a natural comic.
You make people laugh until their sides split.
And you're always up for some play time!

No comments: