Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Hark! The Herald School Bell Rings...

...Glory to school daze, sing...

Yes, there is an end to summer vacation, Virginia, and it's looming only 3 weeks in our future here.

Where did the summer go?

See, I knew before summer vacation even began that it was already over. We had so much going on---a big family camp out, scout summer camp (2 weeks for the middle kid, 1 week for the oldest kid, and day camp for the youngest kid), a week long trip to Arizona to visit cousins (that was fun!)...We've gone to the beach, we've seen movies---Star Trek, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Up, Transformers. We've attended a funeral, RSVP'd for an autumn wedding, picnicked, explored---lived.

I've had a manuscript rejected---a "positive rejection" in that the editor told me what she liked, what didn't work for her and encouraged me to persevere. I've considered several different WIPs to work on and have come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, I need to let it ride until the kids are back in school---for a variety of reasons: dental appointments (mine and theirs), organizing bedrooms and wardrobes for school, school shopping, enjoying the rest of the vacation time with my kids...I landed a nice freelance writing job, I'm working on my Open a Vein Writer's blog---tickled pink to be spotlighting Heart and Craft by Valerie Parv (and others) there in the next few weeks---have an early copy that I've enjoyed reading when I can find 2 seconds to rub together...Been catching up on my other reading...

Summer's not been too dreadful, although there's been a few Really Hot Days. I must say, I really appreciate the difference between a dry heat and a humid heat. I'll take the dry heat any day. However, that said, I will admit that I miss clouds that actually RAIN.

So, yes, I'm looking forward to school being in session again---looking forward to having my days back without having to referee squabbling over who played the video games so long no one else had a chance to do so; herding kids through chores they don't wanna do (okay, that will continue, but I won't hafta spend a whole day reminding them)...listening to brotherly bickering; fielding endless questions about what are we going to do next, can we go to Walmart and spend our gift cards, can we go out to lunch with Daddy, when is Daddy coming home, I'm bored--what can I do (oddly, they're never bored enough to take me up on the standard response: "Scrub the toilet" or "Go get your workbook" or "Read a book, it won't kill you" or "Put away your clean clothes")...

I'll leave you with this final thought. Was googling images of chocolate and found the following image. Checked out the website, and am tremendously bummed that they don't seem to deliver beyond a certain radius. Big Bummer!


No comments: