Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chaotic Tuesday

Busy, busy Tuesday. #1 Son has surgery early this afternoon to remove the wire around the middle metacarpal in his left hand. Finally, the saga that started in March when he broke his this finger bone (in the hand, not the finger part of the finger bone) is concluding. Months of splints and casts are now over, AND, he'll have an awesome scar on his hand. Through this, Mr. Laura and I discovered that we are grossed out by different types of injuries. I don't do well with blood and gore, Mr. Laura found my recounting of what the kid's bone looked like in the x-ray--how it was broken, where the 2 halves of the bone were in relation to the other to be distressing. Who knew? But I digress...Back to the busyness of Tuesday.

Surgery is conveniently scheduled at the time the other two Lauralings are released from school. It being Tuesday, it's early dismissal for #2 and #3. Can't say as I'm in love with early dismissal Tuesday, as they don't get out at the same time. However, my kids have a Mean Mother, so #2 walks over to #3's school and waits for him to get out. I happen to know I'm not the only Mean Mother in this neighborhood, because I often wind up giving a ride to a friend of #2's and that friend's little sister. But again, I digress...The upswing is, Mr. Laura will be leaving work to report for Mr. Mom Duty. I'll take #1 to the surgery center, Mr. Laura will fetch the kids and oversee the homework.

One more observation before I get to the real purpose of today's blog---begging your indulgence. Where the heckadoodle did my spring go? If you've found my spring, please return it. I'm tired of being cold. I think this spring season needs some happy pills, because...dayam! It's raining today. Again.

So, the purpose of today's blog...Writing Prompt Tuesday. Yep. With the end of school looming and more chaos entering my days due to the kids being home instead of at school, I thought I'd work really hard on getting a routine down these next few weeks, so it's in place when summer vacation starts. (Don't forget to breathe while you're laughing at me.)

The Writing Prompt for this week is an old favorite of mine---the "What if" question. It's a good way to jump start the Muse, as it were, and I've done this numerous times, with two results being published as *Sukie's Dance* and *It's All Greek to Me* by By Grace Publishing and Moonlit Romance respectively (both closed now, regrettably). One question leads to another---something akin to thinking out loud, only it's thinking out loud on paper, as it were. And who knows? Maybe an idea I can file and save for later, to write after I finish my current WIP, will be born. Feel free to join in---post your efforts in the comments if you're so inclined. The more the merrier. Do your own, or expand on mine. :D S'all good. I've always thought writing prompts are more fun with company. :)

What if...


What if the hero and heroine met on a long, empty stretch of road one thunderstormy afternoon. He's trying to get home before the worst of the thunderstorms start, because this weather freaks out his mother and orphaned niece and nephew. His sister and her husband were killed in a tornado outbreak last spring and the wounds are still raw and gaping for them. She's a storm chaser. Like his family, she's lost loved ones due to tornadoes, but she's not one to cower in a closet and pray for it to be over. She wants to confront the storm, prove to herself she doesn't fear it, when in truth, it's the only thing that really does scare the hell out of her.

**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**


We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. ~ Ernest Hemingway

The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. ~ Anaïs Nin

To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make. ~ Truman Capote

**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**

No comments: