Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Already the 3rd Day of the New Year...And What Do I Have to Show For It?

...I have updated my webbie, posted a new free short story to read there...I scrubbed the top of my stove in an effort to remove burnt on holiday food (SOS pads to the rescue!)...I've tried on the new clothes I received and washed them...I still have much to do, but it's a good start...Oh! And I'm about halfway through writing the (first draft) first chapter of a novel that will be the 2nd in a series of 3...the 1st of which I sent out in November...Still waiting to hear on that submission, but I think the longer it takes the better off I am...

Read a review for what looks to be a very intriguing anthology called *New York Diaries: 1609-2009.* I am POSITIVE I need this book. This, of course, led me to look up This Day in History, and here are a few examples of what I found that happened January 3rd in years past. Pay attention, there will be a quiz later.

1777: The Battle of Princeton, during the American Revolution, in which the British leave New Jersey to General Washington and concentrate their efforts elsewhere.

1521: Martin Luther excommunicated, in which Pope Leo X excommunicates Martin Luther from the Catholic Church. He was the "catalyst for Protestantism" and his words set off reformers across Europe.

1961: The US severs diplomatic ties with Cuba, which will shortly lead to the Bay of Pigs, which then leads to very chilly relations between the US and Cuba throughout the Cold War.

1924: King Tut's sarcophagus is uncovered...which eventually led to THIS. He's rather funky.

1987: Aretha Franklin is inducted into the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. Talk about getting some R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

1861: Delaware rejects secession from the United States. While technically a slave state, the institution wasn't widespread and there were few slaves in the state.

Now then. Wasn't that interesting? And you can find more about This Day in History at the historychannel.com.

Now...For that quiz...You ready?

Who was holding the pyramids as Steve Martin danced around in the link up in the 1924 comment?

For extra credit: What show was he on and name the character.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*









No comments: