Friday, February 17, 2012

Can't Keep My Mouth Shut

...Although I probably should. 


But I can't.


Why? Because I have a uterus and two ovaries.


I've been watching the shenanigans in Washington D.C. with a growing sense of disbelief and astonishment. It seems that a certain political party, which shall remain nameless, is on a mission to take us back to the 12th Century by attacking women's rights in regards to access to health care. Yes. I am talking about the issues of abortion and contraception. 


At the moment, Representative Issa is claiming that his committee's hearing on contraceptive availability is his genuine, heart-felt (my adjectives) way of protecting our freedom of religion. Businesses (or whatever) who have a moral objection to providing birth control through insurance to their female employees SHOULDN'T HAVE TO.


All I can say to this, and with my apologies to my mother, is WHAT THE FUCK?


The first amendment protects the right of religion, among other things. "The establishment clause prohibits the government from passing legislation to establish an official religion or preferring one religion over another," thus enforcing a SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. (Source: http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/First_amendment) Please, somebody, explain to me how passing this crazy, misbegotten legislation isn't preferring one religion over another? How? I don't see it.


As a woman, I don't appreciate being told by a bunch of men what I can and cannot have access to/covered by insurance. Contrary to what they say, freedom of religion isn't being protected here. How can it be when these individuals are seeking to enforce the religious convictions certain people may have in regards to making contraception easily available to women. If you give women access to this kind of stuff, the next thing you know, women will be wanting to VOTE! 


I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Morality cannot and should not be legislated. There is freedom of religion when it comes to contraception - if you're agin it, don't use it, but you certainly don't have the right to curtail MY access to it, if I should need it. 


And incidentally, there are other reasons women use birth control pills, besides the obvious one of preventing pregnancy. How about controlling endometriosis, PMS, reduce menstrual pain and cramps, regulate periods? 


These attempts of late, to place more regulations on abortion, now contraception, trouble me greatly. All the progress we women have made over the last 100 years is being pushed backwards, and I have to wonder why. There are those having a hard time understanding that this nation was not founded to be a Christian nation, but rather a nation where all religions could practice freely and openly without fear of persecution. The Constitution, as illustrated above, prohibits the estalishment of any national religion and prohibits giving any religion preferential treatment over another. We are moving further away from those roots, sadly, and being told that we are returning to what the founding fathers intended this country to be. Really? I don't think so. I think they'd be dismayed. 


Sign the petition here: Where Are The Women. Call Representative Issa: 760-599-5000. Contact him HERE

No comments: