Thursday, October 01, 2009

Reviewing a Review

Without even realizing it, I was looking for THE perfect book review. Waiting for the day when I'd come across that elusive Gem of a Book Review, and happily, I found Nirvana on Monday at Smart Bitches. This review has tickled me so much, I've been linking everyone I know to go read it. I mean, that's what friends do, right? Spread the joy?

The Perfect Review. Title being reviewed: The Playboy Sheikh's Virgin Stable Girl by Sharon Kendrick. It's a Harlequin Presents, which I daresay anyone familiar with this line could've guessed.

I happened to see this double-take worthy title in the recently reviewed column, and thinking that someone was pulling my bat wings, I clicked. Surely, I thought, this couldn't be an actual title of an actual book.

Turns out that not only is it an actual title, it's an actual book. Here's proof.

Reviewed by Smart Bitch Sarah, the book yields all manner of fodder. Hole. E. Cow. With quotes galore, it's difficult to decide what's more entertaining---the excerpts or the commentary accompanying the excerpts. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and claim it's the entire package, because clearly, without the book, there would be no reason for such comments as "NOW WAIT JUST A GODDAM MINUTE HERE MR SHIEKHY PANTS." and "And he is a highly sexed man. To quote a wise sage, “It is a romance novel rule that any man named Kaliq MUST be highly sexed.” and "Let’s move on, now that we’ve all been made into women by our sheikhs." (Oh, dear God, I spewed Pepsi from my nose when I read that line. I think I got it all off the monitor screen, tho and only the H and J keys on my keyboard are still sticking.) and "This book is high entertainment. It’s so ridiculous, you can’t put it down. It is its own drinking game."

Now then, the book itself only rated a D- grade, but this rollicking snarkfest of a review has me waxing back and forth as to whether or not I want to read this book. As a rule, I generally can't get past the ridiculous Presents titles enough to even pick the book up off the shelf to read the back cover, so for me to be tempted to even consider purchasing a Presents is an accomplishment. Still, I'm thinking that I won't get nearly as much entertainment from this book as I got from the review, so unless this book magically appears on my doorstep, chances are good I won't actually spend money on the playboy sheikh and his virgin stable girl. (If you had the visual of Mr. Laura's expression as he sees this title, you'd understand my point. Although, I do have book covers...Hmmm... and it is a great expression... Oh, hell. Decisions, decisions, decisions...)

I give the review 2 Wings Up. I recommend the review, you can decide for yourself if you want to read The Playboy Sheikh's Virgin Stable Girl by Sharon Kendrick.

That said, I have the sudden desire to write a Presents. This could be scary.

No comments: