Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Holidays

Well, the first holiday of the winter(ish) season is over. The Thanksgiving Feast Coma has released us all from its thrall, but now we live in Thanksgiving Leftover Heaven. Nothing like a turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce, lettuce and some Miracle Whip. Mmmm.

I've been thinking and have decided every family needs a curmudgeon. More to the point, I've elected myself to the position. I've got the 7 Dwarfs of Curmudgeonly Behavior down pat: Cranky, Grumpy, Snarly, Snarky, Impatient, Temperamental and Snappy. It's taken me most of my life, but I've finally come to the realization that I am the way I am, like, lump it, pass on it or whatever, it's entirely up to you. Some people appreciate this, others don't get it or me, and that's okay. There are many people out in the world that I don't "get" either, so I guess it all works out. The thing is I'm happier overall when I'm just me. Remarkably, I have very good friends who do "get" me and appreciate me for being me---the feeling is mutual.

Change of subject...This is has been on my mind. Last week a friend on Facebook circulated a list of 100 Must Read Books (as decided by some ubiquitous "they"), which I found to be lacking and repetitive (for example, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" was on the list, then a few down, "The Chronicles of Narnia"---which included the first, and is a set of 7)...So, I started thinking what books would I put on a 100 Book Must Read List. So here it is, only it's a 50 book list. Yeah, half the books, perhaps I'll do the second half at a later date...or better yet, what books would YOU put on a Must Read List?

1-7: The Chronicles of Narnia (there are 7 in all, obviously)
8-15: The Harry Potter Books
16-24: The Little House Series
25: Little Women
26: Wuthering Heights
27: Pride and Prejudice
28: The Scarlet Letter
29: The Great Gatsby
30: Huckleberry Finn
31: Tom Sawyer
32: All Quiet on the Western Front
33: Rebecca
34: The Bible, specifically Genesis, the Psalms, Proverbs, the 4 Gospel books and Revelation
35: Hamlet (Okay, this and the following 2 are plays, but they need a place on the list)
36: MacBeth
37: Taming of the Shrew
38: 1984
39: Stranger in a Strange Land
40: The Hobbit
41: Lord of the Rings
42: Gulliver's Travels
43: Band of Brothers
44: Any of the Vampire Lestat novels by Anne Rice
45: Any of the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey
46: Great Expectations
47: How to Win Friends and Influence People
48: Anything written by Nora Roberts/JD Robb---this would probably fill the entire rest of the list, but I'm just giving up the one slot. :D
49: Cheaper by the Dozen
50: Karen

So...what would you put on this list? I'm going to leave the last 50 open and see if anyone leaves suggestions (I'd LOVE it!)

I hope your turkeys were moist, your cranberry sauce tart, your pies calorie-free, your mashed potatoes perfect this last Thanksgiving Day...And leave you all with this rather scary reminder: Christmas is less than a month away.

2 comments:

Hope Chastain said...

51. A Christmas Carol (my favorite of Dickens)
52.The Anne of Green Gables books (all of them, including the ones about her children; WAY better than than the television series, which messed up royally after the first one)
53. Mom would suggest the Elsie Densmore books, which I still haven't read (blush)
54. The Scarlet Pimpernel
55. Anything by Elizabeth Goudge
56. Anything by D. E. Stevenson (a cousin of Robert Louis)
57. Anything by Elisabeth Cadell
58. The Fountain Overflows
59. My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
60. Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis

I'll leave space for others to add in....although I could think of dozens more!

Laura Hamby said...

Awesome, Hope. Thanks! I loved Anne of Green Gables, the whole series.