Thursday, February 02, 2012

Ta-Tas

I have the requisite two boobs with which all women are equipped. I've gone from A cup to DD cup over the years and have a certain cleavage I lacked in my younger years. Ain't pregnancy a great thing for the ta-tas?

You know what's NOT good for the ta-tas?

Politicizing women's health.

Once and for all, people...You CAN'T legislate morality. It's been tried. Doesn't work well. Making something illegal doesn't mean it will automatically cease happening or existing. Did Prohibition really keep Americans from drinking? No. It just forced those who wanted to do so to become more creative in the efforts to make and distribute and consume the demon alcohol - thus giving rise to a new criminal element. How many moonshiners (and their clients) died from sampling their bathtub brew? And before anyone pipes up with "Well, no loss to humanity" let me remind you: Ours is not to judge. Same goes for abortion. Making it illegal won't mean abortions will stop. No, they'll still happen in the proverbial back rooms and back alleys...It will go underground where it cannot be legislated, ensuring that the procedure is regulated to be safe. Women's lives will be put at risk, and all because there are those who would insist that the fetus's life is more important than the life of the woman's. There are valid reasons for obtaining abortions - to save the mother's life, if the baby was conceived violently via rape or incest, if there are birth defects that would affect the child's quality of life. Life without awareness of being alive is what? You decide. Would I do that to a child? I couldn't say...I don't think I could, but I'll never be in the position of having to make that decision. I would defend to the death my RIGHT to have the CHOICE to make, however - the right to have options. In other circumstances, could I have an abortion? That would be a resounding NO. However, which side do I identify with? Pro-Choice, hands down. NOBODY has the right to tell me what to do with my body. That's MY choice and only my choice.

So what does this have to do with ta-tas?

The Susan G. Koman Foundation has made the decision not to fund grants to Planned Parenthood, grants that enabled women the ability to have breast exams, even if the woman couldn't afford them. I've read several articles on the subject, and many of them said something about a (and these are my words) rabid Pro-Life/Anti-Planned Parenthood vice-president being hired, the hinky timing of a new rule being adopted/enforced about funding groups that are under Congressional investigation...All this makes me wonder just what has motivated the decision the Komen Foundation - a foundation that has been doing wondrous, fantastic things for women's health - has made.

Rights. It's all about rights. People have the right to believe however they wish, but that doesn't mean that a select few get to trample of the rights of others who believe differently. Abortion activism has no place in the decision-making process of funding grants for life-saving mammograms. It's not about what we do with our uteruses. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the interest that some people want to show in my uterus and my reproductive choices is just plain CREEPY. It's about the health of our ta-tas. OUR health, overall. How can one claim to be pro-life when one takes steps to ensure that women who couldn't otherwise afford them, can't get a mammogram because the funding is gone due to the belief that 'The money MIGHT be paying for abortions'??????????

All life is precious. It all deserves to be respected and protected to the best of our ability. What stinks is the limitations we face, and all we can do is make the best decisions possible. And one of the best decisions that can be made, in my not-so-humble opinion, is to ensure that all women have access to the care they need, without having to worry about moral judgments being made, without question that we, as women are worth the investment in the health of our ta-tas, in this particular case.

This entire debacle saddens me. What's best in regards to providing ta-ta health care excludes political agendas. Fund the ta-tas. Our mothers, sisters, daughters, aunts, grandmothers, granddaughters, nieces, cousins...ourselves...are worth it. I sure know that MY mother, a breast cancer survivor, is worth it. In spades.



No comments: